INSTRUCTIONS FOR LOADING A DOWNLOADED EBOOK ONTO YOUR EREADER DEVICE OR APP
(scroll down until you find your device)
Instructions for Kindle (.mobi file)
- Send the ebook to your Kindle via Email:
- Find your KINDLE mail address:
- On the Amazon website, go to Your Account > Manage Your Content and Devices > Settings.
- Scroll down to Personal Document Settings.
- Find the list of Send-to-Kindle E-mail Settings (you should see all your Kindle devices, including phones and tablets with Kindle apps).
- Make a note of the e-mail address for the device onto which you wish to load the file.
- Add your REGULAR e-mail address to your list of approved senders:
- On the same page as above, scroll down to find the Approved Personal Document E-mail List.
- If the e-mail address you usually use to send e-mails is already on this list, you’ve done this before and can skip to step 3.
- If not, add it by clicking “Add a new approved e-mail address.”
- NOTE: if the e-mail address you’re sending the file from is not on this list, your Kindle device will reject it.
- Send the file:
- Compose a new email from the REGULAR e-mail address you registered as an approved sender in step 2.
- In the “To” field, type the KINDLE mail address you identified in step 1.
- Attach the file — you do not need a subject or any text in the email body, just the attachment.
- Send the email.
- Be patient. It may take up to 30 minutes, but the file should show up in your list of books. If it doesn't appear under "Books," it will be under "Docs."
- Find your KINDLE mail address:
- OR -
- Use the "Send to Kindle" App
- Download and install "Send to Kindle" (free software) for PC or Mac.
- Sign in to Send to Kindle using your Amazon account and click the "Register" button.
- Navigate via Windows Explorer (PC) or Finder (Mac) to the ebook .mobi file you downloaded.
- Right-click the file and select "Send to Kindle."
- In the Send to Kindle window that opens, choose the device (or multiple devices) where you want to send the ebook.
- Click "Send." The book should appear on the chosen device or devices within a few minutes. If it doesn't appear under "Books," it will be under "Docs."
- OR -
- Use Calibre to load the ebook directly onto your Kindle.
- Follow the steps in (2) below under "Instructions for Nook, Kobo and other Devices."
To read the Kindle version (.mobi file) on your computer
- Download and install the Kindle Desktop Reader (free software) for Mac or PC;
- Double-click on any mobi file to open it on your computer.
Instructions for iTunes (.ePub file)
- From within iTunes, click on the Books tab.
- Select File –> Add to Library, then select your file and click Open.
- The book should then display in the Books tab.
- You will need to sync your iPhone/iPod/iPad to copy the book onto it.
Instructions for Nook, Kobo and other Devices (.ePub file)
You may be able to load the ebook directly onto your device as follows:
Connect your device to your computer via USB cable.
Navigate via Windows Explorer (PC) or Finder (Mac) to the device's folder which stores books.
Copy the ebook into this folder.
Disconnect your device from your computer.
If method (1) doesn't work, I highly recommend using Calibre (http://calibre-ebook.com), an excellent free ebook-management program.
- Download and install Calibre.
- Open the Calibre program.
- Navigate to the ebook file from within Calibre and click on it to add it to your Calibre library.
- Connect your device to your computer via USB cable.
- Calibre should recognize it as an ereader device (it may take several seconds). It’ll scan your device (keep your eye on the spinning circle and “number of jobs" in the lower right corner).
- Once Calibre has finished scanning your device, right click the ebook in Calibre and select "Send to my device.” It should take several seconds to complete.
- Disconnect your device from your computer.